Published on February 19th, 2013 | by Swiss Britt0
Best Digs for your Dogs
Restless dog syndrome can be cured with a trip to one of NSB’s many dog friendly restaurants and parks. Here are my favorite places to take my four-legged friends:
- Smyrna Dunes Park – (386) 424-2935, 2995 N. Peninsula Ave., New Smyrna Beach: Pack up your pooch and head over to the northern tip of NSB. Dubbed the “Dog Beach” by locals, this 73 acre park has over 2 miles of boardwalks with breathtaking views of the Indian River, the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse and the Atlantic Ocean. Your dog can explore the beach, take a dip in the intracoastal or just relax in the sand and sun. Keep in mind, whatever you decide to do, your pets must be leashed at all times. Hours change depending on the season 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the winter and 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the summer. Admission is $5 per vehicle - $1 per person for vehicles with more than eight passengers. ($)
- NSB’s Dog Park – (386) 424-2175, 2641 Paige Ave., New Smyrna Beach (next to the humane society): Lose the leash and go for a ride to this dog centered park. With an entire acre of running space and concrete structures to play in, your little buddy is sure to thank you. It is divided with a space for small dogs and another for larger ones. There is also a shade shelter with a dog and people water fountain if it gets too hot. This park is open every day from dawn till dusk. (Free)
- Treats on the Beach - (386) 409-3456, 504 Flagler Ave., New Smyrna Beach: Located next to the Flagler Ave beach ramp, this fabulous little ice cream shop not only treats people with their delicious array of frozen fare, but will also treat your pup for free! Get ready to have a happy pooch and some happy taste buds! Treats on the Beach offers snacks, a tasty lunch and dinner options as well. Hours are Mon.-Sun. 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. ($)
- Dolphin View - (386) 402-8859, 107 N Riverside Dr., New Smyrna Beach: Share one of the best lunch views in town with your furry friend. Located directly on the intracoastal waterway, this restaurant is the place to be on a beautiful day. The food is great and every seat offers a chance to see a dolphin or two. Leave your dog treats at home, they have plenty for you there. ($$) Hours are Mon. – Sun. 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dairy Queen – (386) 428-8066, 729 N Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach: The only place in town that hosts a night just for your pup. “Dog’s Night Out” started last year during the summer and featured contests like cutest dog and best trick with prizes from Silly Willie’s. You don’t have to wait for this event to start again, they offer free sundaes for your pup any time! More info on a “Dog’s Night Out” TBA. Hours are Sun.- Thur. 11 a.m.to 10 p.m. and Fri – Sat 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.($)
NSB is a pet friendly community with many other establishments that allow pets. If you would like to bring your doggie out, make sure to call ahead for policies of the places you plan to visit. Most pet friendly places expect the owner to take responsibility for anything their pet does. Be sure to clean up after your pet and do not bring aggressive animals around other people and pets.
$- under $10 a person
$$- $10 or more per person