Published on April 19th, 2013 | by Swiss Britt0
Checking Out the Scenery
NSB is a great place to play. Here are some of the best places in town to rent bikes, kayaks, golf carts, scooters and more.
- Deals on Wheels - Beachside Scooters (386) 410-4966, 325 Flagler Ave., NSB: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 7 days a week. This newcomer is located next to the only gas station on Flagler Avenue. Rent from a local who knows the area and can tell you some great spots to explore. See local wildlife and tropical plant life. Rent a bicycle built for 2 for only $25 per day. Scooters are $17.50 per hour, $45 for ½ day and $65 for a full day. You must be 18 to rent a scooter or golf cart. Call for pricing on golf carts. Check out the scenic New Smyrna area on the best wheels in town. For a special treat, ask about the Canaveral National Seashore. The Canaveral Seashore is a national park and requires a small fee of $1 per bicycle and $5 per vehicle. Annual passes are available as well. Mention this article from the Swiss List on NSBOberver.com and receive a discount on your rental at Beachside Scooters.
- Deliciously Fun – JB’s Fish Camp Rentals (386)427-5023, Restaurant (386) 427-5747, 859 Pompano Ave., NSB: Open daily at 11 a.m. Come here for great food and atmosphere. Check out the scenic Indian River Lagoon up close and personal. See manatees and dolphins as they play in the scenic waters. Kayak rentals are available from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and for up to a week at a time. You must be 18 or older or accompanied by an adult. Drivers license or major credit card required for collateral. Singles and doubles are available. Rates are: 1 hour, $15 for a single and $20 for a double. 4 hours, $50 for a single and $55 for a double. 8 hours, $75 for a single and $80 for a double. 24 hour, $100 for a single and $105 for a double. Weekly $150 for a single and $150 for a double. There is no charge to bring your own kayak and use the launch. After your fabulous sun soaked day of discovering the lagoon, join JB’s fish camp for some of their award winning seafood selections and fabulous patio seating with a beautiful Indian River Lagoon sunset.
- Guided – Marine Discovery Center (386)428-4828, 520 Barracuda Blvd., NSB. Support the non profit and tour the Indian River Lagoon with a knowledgeable “Florida Master Naturalist.” Learn as you are guided through our beautiful waters with a sunlit tour, or explore the sparkling moonlit waters under one of our scenic starry Florida nights. Let your guide help you to discover “the birthplace of 95% of Florida’s fish and crustaceans.” Rates are $30 for adults, $20 for children and $20 for your own boat. Fees include kayak, paddle, life jacket and safety kit. Rates are subject to change. Confirm with the office for availability and pricing. The Marine Discovery Center also offers classes and other boat tours for learning and enjoying our waterways.
- Jet Set -Paradise Power Sports (386) 402-8991,177 N. Causeway NSB. Hit up this newbie for some power on the water. Rent anything from a pontoon boat to a jet ski and explore the beautiful NSB coastal waterways or enjoy the great fishing opportunities NSB has to offer. A fishing license is required to fish and must be acquired before your trip. 2 or 3 person jet skis are available. $60 hourly $250 for a ½ day, and $400 for a full day. Pontoon and other boats are available for full and half day rentals. Pontoon boats are $200-$300 per ½ day depending on size, and $300 to $400 for a full day depending on size. The rest of their rental boat stock is $65-$70 per hour, $200-$250 for a ½ day , and $250-$300 for a full day. You must be 21 or older with a valid drivers license to rent. Renters age 21-24 must have a valid boaters license. Contact them today for some high powered fun on the water.
- Taking a Stand – New Smyrna Stand Up (386) 424-0616, mailing address 507 Peninsula Ave., NSB. Launch site location is in Callalisa Park near the South Causeway off of Callalisa Creek. Founded in 2009 by a local surfer and fisherman, New Smyrna Stand Up is the first company of it’s kind in New Smyrna. Explore nature with a local who knows some of the best fishing and photo ops in the NSB area. Rates are $35 per board and paddle for 1 hour, $50 for 2 hours, $65 for the day, and $150 for 3 days. They can even bring the equipment to you free of charge anywhere on beachside in New Smyrna. Call them to schedule a drop off or instruction session for you and your family. Join them the 20th of April for the Paddle Out Poverty event at Lighthouse Point Park. Sign up is at 9 a.m. the day of the races, and the long race begins at 10 a.m. Registration fees are $30 for one race, $50 for two, and $70 for all three with the option of renting a paddle board or kayak. Races are followed by a silent auction and awards ceremony.
When exploring nature in New Smyrna don’t forget the essentials. Sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat are a must. Wear water shoes with thick bottoms because flip flops can end up being a bad choice on a scooter or in a kayak. They can be lost easily and do not protect your feet from things such as oyster beds and sticks that could be under water. Don’t forget the bug spray because they don’t call it Mosquito Lagoon for no reason. You will need plenty of fresh water for staying hydrated. Also, bring a plastic baggie that can be sealed to protect your cellphone, camera or other electronic devices. As always, leave only footprints, respect nature and have fun.