Published on March 29th, 2013 | by Swiss Britt0
Where the bargain hunters stalk their prey:
1. Building Futures - Habitat for Humanity ReStore (386) 428-5010, 722 S. Dixie FWY, NSB: “Building Homes, Communities, and Hope.” Everyone loves a good bargain. Here you can get the good deal your looking for! Just by shopping here you are helping to generate funds for home building. Habitat For Humanity is a non profit that builds homes for families in need. Anyone who is in need, willing to partner with HFH , and able to pay back a no interest based mortgage is able to qualify. The funds received from the mortgages are put back into a revolving fund for building homes. Since 1976 HFH has built and renovated over 225,000 homes. Help them continue their mission if you’re in the mood to bargain hunt!
2. Frocks on the Cheap - Thrifty Threads Consignment Shop (386) 427-0490, 217 Canal St., NSB: Check out historic Canal St. and hit up Thrifty Threads. Family owned and operated for 19 years, Thrifty Threads has been providing local and visiting fashionistas a place to get great deals on resale upscale clothing. It is also a great spot to sell your unwanted gently used items. Browse their ever-changing selection of handbags, shoes, accessories and more! If you wish to sell clothing, contact thrifty threads for an appointment. They will accept only gently used, clean, women’s and juniors apparel on hangers that is preferably less than 3 years old. No more than 10 items per transaction. Upon sale you will receive 40% of the sale price. Items not sold or claimed in 90 days will be donated at the stores discretion. Their hours are 10 AM-5 PM Monday- Friday, and 10 AM-3 PM on Saturdays.
3. Job Creator - Goodwill ( 386) 428-2939, 2984 S. Ridgewood Ave. Edgewater: Goodwill is a great place to pick up some amazing deals on housewares and clothing! Goodwill has been changing lives since 1902 when Rev. Edgar Helms began the organization. He started by going to the more affluent neighborhoods and picking up broken or unwanted items. Then he brought them to the needy for repair and resale. It turned out to be a great system and their philosophy of “a hand up, not a hand out” came to be. Goodwill’s central Florida chapter started in 1959 and has been providing a leg up for those in need with a willingness to work. Goodwill in Edgewater is open Monday-Saturday 9 AM-8 PM and 9 AM-6 PM on Sundays.
4. Providing Prevention - Drug Free Youth Thrift Shop (386) 423-7911, 1431 S. Dixie Fwy, NSB: A great place to get home wares and if you’re one of the few that still reads actual books its also a fun place to get books. While you shop you are helping a great community centered organization People for a Drug Free Youth promotes positive alternatives to drugs and alcohol to the youth of SE Volusia County through education and prevention ideas. Drug Free Youth is operated by a board of directors made of local educators, law enforcement experts, parents, and concerned citizens. These individuals help the organization to fulfill its goals with community education, rec programs, reward programs and college scholarships. The Drug Free Youth Thrift Shop is open Monday – Saturday 9 AM-5 PM. Donations are accepted during business hours.
5. Fully Equipped - The Pink Door Hospital Auxiliary (386) 427-2100, 115 Live Oak St., NSB: Check them out for their selection of jewelry, other accessories, and artwork. Sales are also held in the hospital lobby. All proceeds for the Pink Door are used to buy equipment for the Bert Fish Medical center and all the employees are volunteers. The Pink Door Auxiliary Boutique is open Weekdays 9:30 AM -4 PM.
6. Beachside Bargains - CorMeth Boutique (386) 427-1115, 201 S. Peninsula Ave., NSB: The Coranado Community Methodist Church has been a community staple and place of worship since its founding in 1904. Their thrift shop is located on the corner of Flager Ave. and Peninsula St. All proceeds go to the church. This thrift shop is always a great place to find a forgotten treasure. From furniture to clothing and other household items you are sure to be pleased with this place.